Thursday, June 12, 2014

Breastfeeding Breakdown

Today our baby is 4 weeks old! :D

Yesterday was the day I broke down and would have given up with breastfeeding. I cried from the excruciating pain. Yes, it hurts more than contractions to me. I thought by now it would only get better. 

On the positive, my milk is coming in great. 

The sides of my nipples are cracked, beyond sensitive, sore, and bleeding. [But it's my fault. Read below.] I can't even sleep or sneeze or breathe :P because they're throbbing so painfully. It feels like a HUNDRED little sharp cuts made by really thin blades are all over your nipples. 

They hurt so bad that at 5pm yesterday I stopped nursing and pumping. But of course you're going to get engorged/clogged/full of breast milk so that hurts too! Nothing could bare to even breathe in the direction of my nipples. It's like I couldn't even quit nursing if I wanted to since the milk is producing. And thank goodness for that because I would have seriously gave up last night.

So I figured out that while pumping [every 2/2.5 hours all day and night long... so an average of 8 times a day], it was chafing and rubbing so hard and so often making the sides of my nipples get DESTROYED. I stopped putting nipple cream on because I didn't realize this was happening until it was a few days too late. Duh me! 

So now I have to suck it up and nurse through these destroyed nipples. I put on crazy amount of nipple cream and aquaphor before, during, and after. My cracked nipples will get better and things will soon be more normal. :/ :]

No comments:

Post a Comment