Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Feeding the first week

Going in, my husband and I wanted to try to exclusively breastfeed Colette for a year. That was the goal. Just a goal. ;]

The first few days, a mother's mature milk is still producing. So we decided to feed her my colosseum and supplement with formula bcos she was loosing a lot more weight than average [newborns loose weight in first 2 weeks from birth]. In a couple of days, she gained weight and her yellowish skin [risk of jaundice] started to fade and she started to get a little more healthier.

My husband had 2 weeks paternity leave and let me sleep at night. After 5-7 days after birth, I pumped, but was always short of one feed during the night so we supplemented one feeding with good ol' :P formula for a week and half. My nipples were also extremely sore for the first 3 weeks.

We used formula in the beginning to help feed Coco until I was able to abundantly provide milk for her. This made me a lot less stressed about her gaining weight, her being satisfied/full, being healthy, and not putting pressure on myself with nursing.

No comments:

Post a Comment