Monday, May 26, 2014

Nursing Accessories... No, Necessities

If you are breastfeeding, your nipples will be sore after 24 hours [that's also usually 10 feeds+] until your nipples toughen up and get used to your newborn trying to suck on them. Mature milk comes in about 3-5 days after your labor and that will be easier for your baby to get milk while sucking on your breasts. Nursing is very tough, especially for the first time. Lots of help is great.


I would get these in advance prior to your labor so you have them ready to use! Start using them ASAP, even after your first feed:

The hospital lactation consultant gave me Medela contact nipple shields. It's to help with latch-on difficulties, etc. I personally love it the most because my newborn isn't directly sucking on my skin. It's still sensitive, but not to the full extent. But our in house lactation consultant said it would interfere with nursing. I'm not sure which is true. All I know is that it definitely helps ease the torture in beginning, but look into this if you are concerned about it interfering with nursing.



I love Lansinoh TheraPearl 3-in-1 Breast Therapy. They can be warmed up or frozen. I stick them in the freezer and I use them EVERY time after I nurse and try to soothe my breasts/nipples as much as possible. I just put them in my nursing bra without the cloth covers so I get maximum soothing capacity, lol. And when it runs out, I stick them back in the freezer and do it again, haha. I personally got 2 sets in total so I can just switch off instead of waiting for them to get cold again; even though it doesn't take a long time.


Medela Soft Shells are what you put in your bra if your nipples are sensitive to shield them from brushing up or touching anything. When your nipples are sore or cracked, you can't stand anything slightly touching your nipples like a bra or clothes. You put these on to protect them. If your nipples are sensitive, these are a life saver!


Of course nipple cream is a must. I put this on after I nurse and I reapply AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE to prevent cracking, etc. Take this to the hospital and start applying ASAP and all the time as often as possible, like once an hour [I did it more often sometimes because it doesn't hurt!]. Serious. The hospital gave me Lansinoh Lanolin nipple cream which is thick. It's not bad, but I purchased Motherlove nipple cream and I personally like this thinner, oily consistency better. Heard Earth Mama Angel Baby is great too, but I haven't tried it out yet.
Nipple Cream

And remember to get nursing bras that aren't tight and don't have any wire underlining because you don't want it to restrict or affect your breast milk. ;]


All of these items can easily be found in many places and each can be found for about $11-$15~

Please share if you have any remedies! Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment